More College Poems
Untitled #7-14
It's been a while, we've changed a bit,
and though I hoped I never believed that you and I
would have a chance to share again.
Yet here we are, older, sadder, maybe wiser,
crossing paths again.
Where do we start and how shall we play;
maybe as friends or a little more?
I want to stay and learn to love,
but the endless road is calling.
We've mountains to climb and lives to live
with miles and years between us.
So hold me closely and whisper of someday,
when we're older, sadder, and maybe wiser.
Billings, Montana, August 1982
Montana Moonlight
Did you see the moon last night,
big and full, so bright it seemed alive
bathing the snowy world in an eerie bluish white?
I walked for hours beneath it,
acutely sensitive to the sound
of a single set of footsteps on crunchy snow, wondering,
would you kiss me when my beard is full of ice.
Billings, Montana, January 1982
Dream Wind
Blow on cold wind, shift the leaves and bend the trees,
surround me with the dreams of youth,
add to this illusion and I will stay to see
while others scurry before your breath,
too concerned for comfort to share
the dream-like spell you weave.
University of GA North Campus, November 1981
A Weight Room
With swelling chest and rising spirit,
man becomes a god.
And I, sitting alone
midst the tools that have carved me to this form,
understand in bits and pieces.
This madness calls me,
lures me give my soul
for glory that is fleeting.
Rocky Mountain College Weight Room
May 1982
These four poems along with "Herbert" were published in the 1983 Centennial Edition of Soliloquy, Rocky Mountain College's literary magazine.
Awesome! I must share your Weight Room poem. For this too is my darling husband's second most favorite place to be. Every morning, 5:00 AM. He is beckoned with music in ears and sweat and peace as his reward. A very different breed of man for sure.
ReplyDelete