December 30, 1993, The Bering Sea, Norton
Bay, Western Alaska Coast, somewhere between Shaktoolik and Koyuk on the sea
ice, thirty degrees below zero, Fahrenheit, wind chill -80°.
My snow machine
was screaming along at 65 miles per hour as full dark settled over the ice and
the alpenglow faded from the hills to the east. Behind me a rickety, mostly
rotten, cargo sled, held together with twine and duct tape, and overloaded with
a one third section of Resilite wrestling mat was bouncing along over the ice
and quickly disintegrating. Twenty miles behind me across frozen ocean and a
snow and ice covered marsh lay the small Inupiaq village of Shaktoolik. To the
west was the seemingly endless expanse of the winter pack ice of the Bering
Sea. Up ahead was the rapidly vanishing taillight of another snowmobile driven
by Boya Kavairlook, the Koyuk school custodian, my friend, and guide in this
nutty expedition to provide a wrestling mat for my wrestlers in Koyuk. Boya had
gotten hungry and decided to get home in a hurry. I, with my bouncing cargo,
was quickly falling behind. Trying to see Boya’s snow machine tracks in the
blowing snow, which skittered across the frozen sea, was becoming more and more
difficult due to the fierce wind. I began to wonder just how it was I came to
be in this situation.
Many small
villages in Alaska have fewer than three hundred residents. The schools are
small and their gymnasiums are too. Most wouldn’t hold a full size wrestling
mat, even if the school had one. The wrestlers in Koyuk had always worked out
on rough, foldable gymnastic mats that often left them with bruises, mat burns
and a poor feel for competition on a regulation wrestling mat. When I found out
the summer before that my coaching colleague in Shaktoolik had a wrestling mat
but could only fit two sections of it in their small gym I asked him what
they’d done with the other section. He said it had been stored under their gym
for years.
The other coach
and I made a deal. If he gave us the unused section of mat I’d come get it and
at some point during the season my wrestlers and I would fly the fifty miles
down to Shaktoolik and have a dual match with his wrestlers. So here we were
between Christmas and the New Year hauling this beast of a mat across the frozen
sea.
Suddenly I heard a
loud whirring noise from the engine of my snow go. A snapping sound led to an
immediate loss of power and my machine began to slow. I guessed that the drive
belt had snapped and I braked the machine, while flashing my headlight several
times in hopes that Boya might see it.
I left the machine
running, got off the saddle, flipped on the headlamp strapped around my beaver
hat, opened the hood and saw the remnants of the drive belt at the bottom of
the engine housing. As I closed the hood in fear of the wind ripping it off, my
curses were lost in the ever blowing maelstrom of snow and air. I tromped
around to the cargo compartment in back of the snow machine and trying not to fumble with my heavy mitts on, pulled out my
tool kit and spare drive belt. I thought about the sheer craziness of the
situation. Here I was a Georgia boy, bundled up like an Eskimo, standing miles
out on the Bering Sea ice beside my broken down snow go. I shut off the machine
and figured Boya would see the glow of my headlamp, if he turned back. As I began to thread the drive belt onto the
engine I gratefully heard Boya’s snow machine drawing close.
His face broke out
in a wide grin as he pulled up into the glow of my headlamp. I nodded and he
asked, “Drive belt?”
“Yep,” I replied.
“Got a spare, here.”
“Heard it in
Shaktoolik,” muttered Boya.
I nodded and went
back to attaching the belt.
“Good you got
spare,” said Boya.
I chuckled and
said, “You won’t have to tow me back.”
“Too far,” he
grinned.
With the engine
repaired I began to look over the sled. The old rotten wood was cracked pretty
badly and Boya said, “Sled won’t last, maybe.”
I pulled some
heavy-duty parachute cord out of the backpack tied to the rear of my snow go
seat and cut off a couple of lengths. Boya and I began to lash the front of the
sled runners to the frame. When we finished we looked at the job and I
chuckled.
“Will it hold,” I
asked?
“Maybe,” Boya
shrugged.
“Go a little
slower,” I suggested.
Boya grunted and
said he was hungry.
As I remounted my
snow go I noticed that the wind had died down to a stiff breeze and the
blowing snow had settled a bit. The stars of the Milky Way seemed closer than I’d
ever seen them. “What a place,” I thought!
Boya blasted off
on his snow go, rocketing away toward dinner. I accelerated, hoping the sled
would hold together and I could get the giant piece of rubber bouncing along a
few feet behind me back to the village. Within a few moments I’d gotten up to
fifty miles per hour. The wind out of the west had increased again and I doubted that Boya’s tracks
would last long enough for me to follow them, which was not so good as his tail
light was almost out of sight.
To the east I
noticed an unusually bright light behind the mountains. There was no village or
human settlement of any kind over that way, just the Ungalik River and some
decrepit equipment from a turn of the century gold mining camp. As the light
grew brighter a gigantic yellow moon slowly rose over the peaks and the icy world
was bathed in the most beautiful, magical light.
Behind the
balaclava covering my face I began to laugh. I laughed long and loud. Here I
was whizzing along over the frozen ocean, on what some would say was a fool’s
errand, yet I was at peace with life and was happy to be where I was,
surrounded by the beauty of the sub arctic night. I lived in Alaska and life
was good.
No comments:
Post a Comment